OUR kidneys are very important to our daily bodily function. They not only detoxify the body and filter out impure substances from the body but they get rid of metabolic wastes through urination. Kidney stones develop when you don’t process wastes properly or when your are dehydrated.
Which is why exercise and maintaining hydration is extremely important. The foods we eat play a major role in the body’s hydration. Cooked, denatured foods are dehydrating and stripped from their natural water content. In turn, causing dehydration in the body which can create all kinds of problems internally, like kidney stones.
Kidney stones are extremely painful and have the capability of blocking urinary flow in the kidneys and ureters.
Here are some great natural remedies to help getting rid of kidney stones and help your urinary tract heal:
1. Lemon Juice with Baking Soda. This is a great remedy for kidney stones because it helps break them down and flush them out. All you need to do is mix 8 ounces of distilled water with the juice of a small lemon, then add a teaspoon of baking soda. Drink this down first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and then follow it up with another 8 ounces of water. Repeat this regimen after about an hour and keep doing it consistently throughout the day, each day until you no longer have symptoms and the stones have dissolved.
2. Dandelion root. This is an inexpensive way of getting rid of kidney stones. Use organic dandelion root to make tea and let it do its work as it cleanses the urinary tract. Just take a thumb size piece of root, break it up into pieces, the size of peas. Bring a pot of water to a boil then down to a simmer and let the root sit in the simmering water for about 15 minutes. Strain it into a cup, add the juice of a small lemon, 1-2 tsp of raw honey to sweeten and get to drinking!
3. Horsetail. This too can be taken as a tea. It works well in alleviating the pain of kidney stones while improving kidney health. Drink a lot of this tea —about 3-4 cups per day. You can also juice the plant and infuse your body with horsetail juice. The more fluids you have going into your body, the greater the chances of breaking up the stones and flushing them out.
4. Pomegranate Juice. Pomegranates are good for just about everything. The seeds and the juice of this fruit are especially good for kidney stones because of their highly astringent properties making it one of the best juices for kidney stone relief. Drink a glass of pomegranate juice after it has been freshly squeezed or eat the pomegranates with the seeds. Make it a daily habit for overall kidney health.
5. Organic celery. Daily consumption of celery, celery seeds (use in tea or as a spice), or celery root are great as a urinary tonic and keeping kidney stones away. Celery juice is also extremely potent in flushing out kidney stones. Juice 6-8 stalks of celery and let your body do the rest! Squeeze fresh lemon juice and add a cucumber to smooth out the taste. You will be good as new before you know it!
6. Basil will tone the kidneys when juiced or taken as a tea. The acetic acid in basil will help break down the kidney stones and minimize the pain. Another benefit basil offers is that it reduces levels of uric acid, in turn, reducing the risk for future development of stones. Juice a fresh bunch of basil and drink it daily for best results. You can also add lemon juice and cucumber to smooth out the taste if needed. This regimen will help expel the existing stones from the urinary tract.
7. Change your diet. It’s no secret that eating unhealthy foods is a big cause of kidney stones and other health complications. A true, healthy diet should consist of predominantly raw, living, wholesome, plant-based foods. Focus your attention on making healthier changes including reducing/removing your intake of soda and leaving out the energy drinks. Drink lots of fresh clean, distilled water instead. You will find that as you increase your raw fruit and veggie intake, you will consume less water as you will be “eating” it instead. Stay away from alcohol, processed foods, and instead focus on increasing your intake of fruits and vegetables. Taking daily consistent steps toward improving every day will get you on the road to optimal health, vitality, a healthy body, and most importantly, life longevity.
Choose health for yourself and choose to be an example for those you love around you.
Until next time!
Juice cheers to your health,