Now more than ever, taking care of our mental health is essential – for our mind, body and spirit. Incorporating daily self-care practices into your life is the best way to do that. Think of it as your shield or layer of defense against stress and negativity. The time is NOW to start taking care of YOU.
6 ways to self-care and boost wellness –
1. Yoga and Meditation – Take a yoga or meditation class online in the comfort of your own living room or in a social distanced studio. With so many resources at your fingertips, you are sure to find a class that fits your needs and peaks your interest.
And if you don’t have one already, using a meditation cushion set is essential for facilitating a smooth meditation. I used this once before at a meditation class and loved the way it made me feel during the meditation. It was a total game-changer! It’s definitely a great investment – especially if you have a bad back like I do.
2. Read inspirational or self-development books – The Power of Intention by Dr. Dyer and Think Like a Monk by Jay Shetty are both excellent books for personal and spiritual growth. You can also find some really cool wellness topics and documentaries over on Gaia that will inspire you to dive deeper which I highly recommend for healing and renewing – mind, body and spirit. Some that I recommend are E-Motion, The Power of the Heart, Transcendence, and Enlightenment.
With Gaia, you have to sign up for their membership to access all the resources but they do have a 7-day free trial you can start out with. I guarantee you will love it. It’s an investment in your health and overall wellness.
Spiritual and emotional healing are topics I am highly passionate about because it’s a journey that has helped me transform my life in ways I never imagined. I’ll write a separate blog on this but do know that anything I share with you, comes out of love and straight from my heart.
3. Move your body through exercise or outdoor activity. Explore your local health and fitness options to see what works best for you. Exercise is a natural healing remedy that goes hand in hand with nutrition. There’s no need to get crazy with exercise unless you want to power up and build on athletic performance so all you really need to do to keep healthy is just move your body and incorporate some level of weight training.
One exercise that I feel is the BEST above all cardio exercise for health and only takes 10 minutes to do, is using a lymphasizer or rebounder (aka a mini trampoline). I recently just bought this one on Amazon, and it’s now on sale! I’m loving it so much. It was time to update from my old one which I gave to my daughter. I’ll be writing a blog on this also so stay tuned!
4. Treat Yourself To a Spa Day – Who says you have to go to a salon? It can be as simple as turning your bathroom into a spa and soaking in a nice warm bubble bath with bath bombs and candles lit around you. Yankee Candles are among my favorites by the way AND they’re vegan! It simply makes for a perfect and relaxing DIY spa retreat.
Or of course, you can simply head over to a local spa in your area for a day of pampering!
5. Create a personal Zen space in your home that makes you feel at ease and brings you peace. Diffusing essential oils is perfect for a zen setting. Just add water and a few drops to your essential oil diffuser and you are good to go! Be sure to add in some meditation music too. I created a couple of meditation music videos over on YouTube which you can find here and here.
Something else you can add to your space are some bamboo plants which add an extra zen kick to your space. There is just no better place than being in a toxic-free environment that comes from your own living space so whatever you do, make sure you make it your own to enjoy and relax in.
6. Cultivate, grow and nurture your own personal garden of live plants, herbs or whatever you have the desire to grow. There’s just something about a garden that puts the mind at ease. Don’t you think?
I’ve started growing my own microgreens with the TrueLeaf Market microgreens starter kit which I shared over on my Instagram stories a few weeks ago and they grow so fast! (I have it highlighted on my profile under “Microgreens.” It was nice to see the seedlings spring up so quickly and even better to know I’m able to grow my own greens. What prompted me to do this was struggling to find good, healthy greens at the grocery store so now I feel good knowing I can just grow my own!
No matter what you decide to do, if it’s one or all of my suggestions, at the end of the day, what matters most is that you take care of YOU and do what feels good to YOU. Essentially, self-care is an investment you can’t afford to neglect.
And, self-love… That’s your ultimate superpower. Embrace it and nurture it because without it you have nothing. It’s time to make yourself a priority. If you don’t, who will?