We all know the holidays can challenge our emotional state but when you lose a loved one, it makes it all the more difficult to deal with.
Losing a loved one right before the holiday’s or throughout can throw you off balance making it very difficult to embrace the meaning of the holiday season. As it is, it’s hard enough getting by day by day. There are no words that anyone can say to ease the pain or take it away but there are steps you can take to help you begin the healing process.
5 steps you can start taking to help bring you comfort during the holiday season are…
Honor Your Emotions. Don’t feel pressured or forced to enjoy the holidays or any other event for that matter. It will happen when you feel ready. Grieving has no deadline so take your time as your heart heals. It’s important that you stay connected with your feelings and respect them as you begin to heal.
Those we love don’t go away, they walk beside us every day… unseen, unheard, but always near. Still loved, still missed and very dear.
On the flipside, if you find yourself experiencing doses of happiness, embrace the experience without guilt. Your departed loved ones want nothing more than to see you happy. Seeing you sad only makes them sad. You see, they’re doing fine. They just want you to be too.
Practice Various Healing Methods. There are many different healing methods you can practice that will help you find the calm, peace, and acceptance necessary to heal within. It’s just a matter of finding which one works best for you. Meditation, reading, prayer, and healing affirmations are among some of the techniques I have found to bring me a greater sense of peace and comfort after having lost my baby brother in 2006.
Take Care of Yourself. Do whatever it takes to uplift your spirit and nourish your soul. This could be surrounding yourself with those you love, sharing uplifting stories as you honor your loved one’s memory with others who feel the same, loving on your pet(s), getting outdoors and going for walks in the fresh air, go to the mountains for a tranquil day or weekend retreat or the beach for a peaceful therapeutic setting, sitting quietly by yourself, or doing anything that puts you in a place of ease.
Maintain Communication with Your Loved Ones. Talk to your deceased loved ones as if they are still around because they are! They love when you continue to share your life with them. Just because you can’t see them doesn’t mean they’re no longer near. They will remain with you always and show up when you are most vulnerable. They come to remind you that all is well and that you will be too.
And, trust me they WILL let you know! Lol… After my brother passed away, he came to me many times. Once, he showed up as a vision (no lie!) when I was half asleep and scared me out of my wits!😱
Pay Attention to the Signs. They will be revealed to you by form of energy as long as you are open to receiving them. During the holidays and other special moments, they tend to want to communicate with you even more to help you along. Be receptive to their messages because it is then that you will see and feel their presence crystal clear.
Also, don’t be afraid to ask your departed loved one for a sign because they won’t hesitate to send them your way. Just be patient as you wait for these magnificent signs to manifest. Then embrace them with gratitude for there will be many more to come!
Some of the signs you can expect to experience are…
- Through animals. They will take form of an animal for short period of time. This animal is usually a bird, ladybug, butterfly, or one that may have held a special meaning. You will be able to tell in the animal’s behavior as it will behave in a way that it normally wouldn’t as it attempts to get your attention. It could potentially land on you, follow you, give off an odd shrieking sound, whistle at you, and so on.
- By form of objects. They will make their way onto your path by leaving objects behind such as coins or feathers. If you come across these type of objects, be sure to hold on to them and safe keep them. It’ll be nice to look back on as you continue to collect these meaningful treasures.
- Through songs. Since they can’t speak directly to you, they’ll send you messages through songs. Don’t be surprised to hear their favorite song come on the radio or a song with words you needed to hear at just the right time. It could also be that one song you both loved begins to play out of the blue.
That’s them sending you their love.
- In your dreams. Every so often, they will appear in your dreams to let you know that they are still with you and that they are doing fine. Your dreams will leave you with a comforting feeling of peace and reassurance that they are well and in a really good place.
- Display of personality. If your loved one was a jokester, rest assured, they will continue to play pranks on you! It’s their way of making you laugh and reminding you that they are still very much alive. Whatever characteristics your departed loved one had, will be reflected in a form that displays their personality traits. You’ll know it when you see it!
My brother was a prankster and often I found him playing tricks on me like he normally would when he was alive in the physical world. For example, my car keys would disappear and after looking everywhere I could think of, they would miraculously appear right in front of me just like that.
- By form of electricity. Don’t freak out if your electricity suddenly flickers or shuts off. They like to flicker lights and play around with electronics by turning your computer, television or radio on and off or even make appliances beep for no reason at all. My brother used to turn my laptop on in the middle of the night while I was sleeping. This is after I had already shut it down!
The list goes on and on. These are just some of the most common signs they use to let you know they are still here with you. Keep in mind, you must have an open mind in order to pick up on their attempt to get your attention.
If you haven’t received any of these signs, reach out to your loved one by simply asking them to let you know they are still with you. Then pay attention to the signs that follow. The more you become aware of the messages they send you, the more they will continue to let you know they truly are still present.
If the signs subside, it’s okay. This doesn’t mean they are no longer with you or that you no longer love them, it just means you are strong enough to continue on with your life as they step aside and let you. Feel free to reach out when you need them as they are only an angel wing away.
In honor of those who have recently lost a loved one. May you find the healing you need to help you continue on and may you be filled with the lord’s peace, love, and comfort this holiday season.
God bless you and your family this holiday and always.
Have an experience you’d like to share? Share it in the comments below. It may help someone else reading this in their own healing.
Love, peace, and light,