Whether you are just starting out or are well on your way to living a raw, plant-based lifestyle, having the right kitchen tools are a must to truly enjoy the process and get creative with your meals along the way. Eating your meals should be appetizing and enjoyable not be forced or dreadful.
Getting organized around your kitchen and acquiring the essential tools and equipment needed to make a variety of raw food recipes will not only save you a huge amount of time, it will also serve as great support as you transition into a healthier way of life eating delectable, enticing meals that not only burst with color and freshness but fuel your body with the optimal nutrition that raw living foods provide.
When I started out, I began with the bare necessities until I started going through my certification and starting learning more about the tools I would need to help make it easier to adapt. I went from using a regular $40 blender which I had replaced several times, to the Ninja Kitchen System, and then finally, the Vitamix. I don’t know how I ever got by without it which brings me to number one on the list…
Top 12 Kitchen Must Haves
- Vitamix Blender. I highly recommend investing in a high-speed blender. It makes a huge difference in your recipes giving them a much tastier result. If there was only one recommendation for me to make, it would be a quality and powerful blender like the Vitamix. This is one that can do just about anything and allow you to make just about any recipe from smoothies, to soups, to nut butters, dressings, juices and more. It is a well-rounded, multi-faceted piece of equipment that will serve as great investment in your health and one that will last you for years to come. You can’t beat the 7 year warranty it comes with either! (5 years if refurbished)
- Veggie Spiralizer. This kitchen essential makes it so much easier to prepare your veggies. Especially when you have a noodle making recipe. It comes in handy for cucumbers, zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potato, potatoes and more. It’ll take you less than 2 minutes to make a meal with this bad boy!
- Food Processor. A food processor is essential for making a variety of raw food recipes and will save you a whole lot of time in the process. I use a 9-cup food processor from Cuisinart but you can go with an 8-cup. Anything smaller can make it difficult to get the job done.
- Mandoline Slicer. A mandoline slicer is the perfect tool for making julienned or thin sliced veggies or just slicing veggies overall in less than 2 minutes. Saves a lot of time and gets your meals completed in no time!
- Bamboo Cutting Board. Cutting boards are another essential tool to keep in your kitchen making it an easier and cleaner space to cut/slice up fruits and veggies. I like preparing on a larger space so the one I use is extra-large. I choose to use bamboo boards over any other for its quality, clean health and sanitation (prevents bacteria from forming), they’re low maintenance, and earth friendly. It doesn’t hurt that it looks nicer too!
- Cold-Pressed Juicer. A cold-pressed juicer is another one of my top essentials and worth the investment in your health. They come in handy when you’re sick, in need of a detox or cleanse, or to drench your cells with needed nourishment for an instant nutrient infusion. I like to describe juicing like an IV of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals shooting through your blood for a dose of optimal nutrition that you wouldn’t otherwise, normally eat. Owning a juicer is worth every penny!
- Citrus Juicer. A citrus juicer comes in handy for citrus fruit juice recipes and makes for a quick juice and clean up. No need for cutting up or prepping veggies with this one as it is used for citrus fruit. The only fruit I recommend juicing unless you’re juicing apples in your cold-pressed juicer to sweeten your vegetable juice. Makes a great addition to your veggie cold-pressed juicer and great for those under-the-weather kinda days!
- Vegetable Chopper. This one comes in handy for dicing fruit or veggies to make salsas, salad toppings, or breakfast fruit toppings. Every bit of help you can get to save and cut your meal prepping time in half is worth every cent!
- Chef’s Knife. A good knife goes a long way for fruit and veggie meal prep. Especially if you’re putting the knife to the cutting board on a daily basis. You’ll also want to keep a good knife sharpener on hand to keep it sharp like new! There’s nothing like a dull bladed knife when trying to prepare a veggie or fruit meal.
- Digital Food Scale. I have a digital scale in which I used to use it mainly for weighing fruit so that I knew how much food to consume. I used it a lot in the beginning during my transition to make sure I was getting a sufficient amount of food and calories to prevent from becoming calorie deficient. Now I use it on occasion but highly recommend it for anyone looking to transition into the raw food lifestyle to help keep track of calorie intake. Calorie King is a great tool to use in conjunction with your scale.
- PerfecTemp Tea Maker. The PerfecTemp tea maker is not a necessity but it simplifies the tea making process. It boils water to just the right temp for each individual tea requirement and seeps it in perfect timing.
- Dessert Bullet. Now I haven’t tried this one yet but it’s one I will be adding to my kitchen essentials and just in time for summer! I’ve heard nothing but great things about it and serves as a great tool for making fruit desserts. It’s the perfect ‘nana’ cream maker. ‘Nana’ cream is vegan ice cream made from frozen bananas. From what I hear, this nifty dessert tool makes it very easy to make and it even comes with a dessert recipe book. Can’t wait to give it a try!
You don’t have to buy everything all at once. You can begin stocking up your kitchen with key essentials you find you will make the most use of to start with; then go from there.
Buy a little at a time and look for deals. I generally find that Amazon has the best deals and have been able to load up on my kitchen essentials taking this route while still buying quality equipment.
You can access all the items I’ve listed at the bottom of this post.
Living a raw food lifestyle may seem like a lot of work but when your kitchen is stocked with the right tools to facilitate the process, life in the kitchen becomes much easier.
Your Turn: Have a kitchen essential you use that isn’t listed? Share it in the comments below!
Peace and healthy living!